If you know anything about me you know I am very much unimpressed 98% of the time. Not that I’m sad or unhappy, I am just meh. Having heard over and over that I moan and complain too much and that I should be more grateful and appreciate the little things in life I decided to start what’s called a gratitude journal. I simply wanted to see for myself if there are things that actually make me feel good, happy and that I am appreciative of, or is everything as boring and ‘beige’ as I make it sound. Soon have I discovered there are a few occasions in life when I am able to say I feel good.
I started to write down the moments I love. Not great life events, just tiny pieces of everyday life. I wrote them while sitting at work, eating breakfast, going to a meeting, before going to bed. And it was not easy at all. Good things are somehow easier to forget than the bad ones. Writing out the fifty worst moments of my life would take me 10 seconds, I can guarantee that.
The list below is not exclusive but contains events and thoughts that seem to have been most recurring on my journey to happiness. Since I have recently turned 31, 31 is the magic number for today. I have already devoted a whole full post to my wonderful friends so I have not included them. But they know <3
- Seeing dogs in the streets and being able to smooch them.
- The mountains.
- Booking a flight ticket.
- Sunny spring weather.
- Sleeping in until 10am on a Saturday or any other day.
- Waking up early and having a productive morning.
- People watching.
- Finding money in old clothes and books.
- Receiving unexpected letters and postcards.
- Mango flavoured everything.
- When I walk into a bar/cafe and my favourite song is playing.
- Days when my curls decide to look decent.
- Listening to podcasts on my way to work.
- Bumping into friends in the streets.
- October & November.
- The smell of the sea.
- When people smile at you and say thank you and actually mean it.
- Watching a whole season of favourite TV show at one go.
- Going to bed before 11pm during the work week.
- Saving money.
- House plants. Or any plants.
- Going to sleep in freshly washed sheets.
- The smell of lavender.
- Morning yoga.
- Stationery (Modulor!).
- Vegan donuts .
- Aperol Spritz.
- When people feed me!
- Packages at my doorstep. Or online shopping in general.
- Thinking about things that make me happy. (Dogs?)
I am still to discover the transformative power of gratitude but so far so good. If you ask my friends they’ll most likely tell you I am much better than I was just a year ago, not to mention 2-5 years back. “Good vibes only” still hasn’t become my mantra but the hard work will pay off and maybe one day I will be able to actually say that I am happy. Now I am moderately happy, which is already pretty fantastic!
And what made you happy today?